Arriva London bus garage scoops top bus industry award
Arriva London, one of the capital's largest bus operators, has scooped a top bus industry award.
The operator's Brixton Garage in South London won "London Bus Garage of the Year" in the UK Bus Awards. The award was made following an independent nomination by Transport for London (TfL) and recognises Arriva's outstanding work at Brixton to create a depot that is focused on operational performance whilst providing a positive working environment for employees.
Brixton stood out from all other London bus depots because of its:
- impressive Driver Quality Monitoring results and overall operational performance
- considerable efforts to maintain staff morale through family-friendly, socially inclusive, flexible and part-time working arrangements
- strong employee communications through ‘open forums’, seminars and innovative plasma information screens
- high-quality training programmes to equip employees with the skills to succeed in their role and advance their careers
- encouragement of an active sports and social club with activities for employees and their families which build team spirit, and
- work with Lambeth NHS Primary Care Trust to promote healthy lifestyles to employees and the local community.
Mark Yexley, Arriva London's managing director, said: "This award is fantastic recognition of our employees' efforts every day to deliver high-quality services for our customers. Our Driver Quality Monitoring and operational results at Brixton, which is a 24-hour operation serving some of the busiest routes in inner South London, show we are consistently providing reliable services.The award also recognises some of the innovative ways we are making working life with Arriva better for our employees. Through strong staff communication and training, we have increased morale, given our people the skills they need to do their jobs more effectively, and made the depot a much more positive and sociable place to work.
Arriva London's Brixton Garage employs 325 people and delivers routes 59, 137, 159, 319, N19 and N250.
Published : Tue 7th Nov. 2017 - Mon 20th Nov. 2017
This year’s Lord Mayor’s Show, on 11th November, was an amazing cause for celebration, not only to welcome in the new Lord Mayor, but also to celebrate another year of Platinum giving by our wonderfully generous Payroll Givers.
This is a full time position in the Recruitment & Training departments of north and south London. Whilst predominantly based at Watson’s Road, Wood Green, the successful candidate will, on occasions, be required to visit and support the south London team based at Thornton Heath garage.
Route 175 operates with 16 double-deck vehicles from our Barking garage, with a twelve-minute frequency during the day. Route 103 operates from our Grays garage with 14 buses, with an eight-minute daytime frequency.
Preparations are complete for our display entry in this year’s Lord Mayor’s Show on Saturday. The Arriva London theme again this year is to celebrate the enormous contribution our staff make to charities through the Payroll Giving scheme. With over 1,000 staff supporting over 160 charities every week, and over £1,000,000 having been given in the last five years.