Seating capacity : 64(36 upstairs, 28 downstairs)
Year : 1959
The second production Routemaster made famous by its Gold livery retained since the Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations in 2002.
In May 1959 RM 6 started its working life based at Clay Hall in east London, a garage long since demolished. It was there to train drivers of trolleybuses at nearby Poplar for motorbus operation.
In November 1959 the bus started to carry passengers in service on new routes 5 and 48, linking east London with the City. From May 1962 the bus was running from nearby West Ham until October 1963 when it moved to Walthamstow. Apart from short periods at Cricklewood, Holloway and Highgate during 1964 it worked from Walthamstow until January 1974.
For two months RM 6 worked on route 11 from Dalston until a move to Camberwell in March. After overhaul in June 1975 the bus continued its merry go round of bus garages, with spells at Tottenham, Stockwell and Bromley, before an overhaul in October 1984.
At the time of overhaul another Routemaster carrying the original body of RM 6 was also being overhauled, and the opportunity was taken to recreate the original combination with RM 6 reappearing at Turnham Green on route 9.
When route 9 converted to RML operation in November 1987 the bus moved to Norwood and there in 1991, its AEC engine was replaced with an Iveco 8360.
For two years between February 1992 and January 1994 RM 6 worked with RM 5 at Clapton on route 38.
Brixton then became its final home, starting with the red and cream Route 159 livery. Traditional red was restored in 1996 and a Scania engine replaced the Iveco in April 2001, when the bus was refurbished at Enfield Accident Centre.
In March 2002 Gold become the standard livery to celebrate the Queen’s Golden Jubilee, a colour that the bus has retained and is now instantly associated with.
March 2004 saw the end of front line service with the conversion of route 137 to DAF/Wrights double decks.
Much care and attention from staff volunteers has seen the condition of the bus brought up to a standard that has seen it become a star attraction at shows and special events.
On the 29th March 2012 RM6 attended a special display of vintage vehicles celebrating the visit of Her Majesty the Queen to Ilford. RM6 was parked on the drive to Valentines Mansion, displaying her congratulatory blinds made especially for the occasion, to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
She is still one of the most popular buses in the Heritage Fleet for celebrating weddings and anniversaries.
Published : Fri 21st Nov. 2014 - Fri 25th Sep. 2015
This year’s Open City once again provided a thoroughly enjoyable and imaginative Mystery Architour, with the Arriva London historic Heritage Fleet bus RM 2217, itself an iconic piece of design, transporting the lucky ballot winners on a trip in London from Russell Square to Stratford, taking in St. Pancras, Kings Cross and the Boundary Gardens at Arnold Circus.
For the last seven years, for one day each year, a full bus service, route 23A, has been laid on to an abandoned village in the middle of Salisbury Plain.
Arriva London were invited to The Crescent Primary School in Selhurst, a suburb of Croydon, to show some young school children what it’s like to ride on a big red double decker bus.
Pupils of St. Joseph’s RC Infant & Nursery School, Upper Norwood, decided to contact Arriva London’s Norwood Garage to ask for a little help.
To start the year in a positive way and finish off the celebrations for the Year of the Bus, Arriva London’s Heritage Fleet RMC 1464 ‘The Open Topper’ was invited to join the New Year’s Day celebration parade through the streets of London.
Arriva’s Heritage Fleet bus assists award winning Chef Tom Kerridge to switch on Marlow’s Christmas Lights
One of the great things about this time of year for Arriva’s Heritage Fleet, is all the exciting and fun celebrations they get involved with.